Holy Spirit series #2 The Power of the Holy Spirit
January 8, 2023 ABC
The Holy Spirit #2
THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Today, we’re continuing our series for the New Year called, “The Holy Spirit”. We all hope to accomplish great things this year and in order to do those things, we will need a full reliance and full understanding of the Holy Spirit.
Conferences, books, classes, fireside conversations among preachers all searching for the answer to the question, “WHAT is missing in our churches?” I believe, that the better question to ask is, “WHO is missing in our churches?” I don’t believe it’s someTHING that’s missing; it is someONE that is missing. Without the Holy Spirit, people operate in their own strength and only accomplish human size results. The world is not moved by love or actions that are of human creation. And the church will not be empowered to live any differently from any other gathering of people without the Holy Spirit, just like a weekly Pep Rally.
But when believers live in the POWER of the Holy Spirit, the evidence in their lives is supernatural. The church cannot help but be different, and the world cannot help but take notice!
The Spirit’s Power is on display in nearly every page of the Bible.
• He gave Joseph skill to rule over Egypt.
• The Spirit gave Joshua military power.
• The Holy Spirit gave words to prophets to speak prophetically over God’s people.
• The Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon and gave him power to lead the Abiezrites into battle.
• The Spirit of the Lord came upon Samson in power, so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands.
• Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit.
• Jesus was raised from the dead by the power of the Spirit
• Jesus promised the power of the Holy Spirit would come on the Disciples as they waited in Jerusalem and His EMPOWERING enabled them to change the world.
This same POWER is available to you today through the Holy Spirit.
In John 16, Jesus has just rocked the disciples’ world with 3 HUGE statements: one of them would be a betrayer, their leader, Peter, would deny Jesus 3 times, and the biggest was that He would be leaving. Against, this backdrop, Jesus reminds them of the coming Comforter, and how his presence would bring them great POWER.
In Acts 1:8, Jesus’ last words told them of the coming Holy Spirit and how He would bring them great POWER. The word power is, dunamis (doo’-nam-is); our word for dynamite: a force; a miraculous power, the explosive power of God.
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT’S POWER IN CREATION John 16:8
“and when He is COME”
Note: This references His coming ministry of permanent empowerment…He has already come in many ways: His INDWELLING presence, His RESTRAINING presence, as well as His presence in CREATION. Quickly notice…
A. His Power in Creating the World
Psalm 33:6-7—-> Genesis 1:2,
B. His Power in Creating Physical Life Genesis 2:7,
Ezekiel 38:5-6, Job 33:4
C. His Power in Imparting Spiritual Life John 3:5, Acts 2:38
II. THE HOLY SPIRIT’S POWER IN CONVICTION John 16:8-11
A. Reproves the WORLD to be Saved (accompanies the Gospel message of faith that is received by faith Gal. 3:5)
1. of sin the problem of our past
2. of righteousness the struggle of our present (Jesus is the standard and the spirit still points to him)
3. of judgment the fear of the future
A. Reproves the BELIEVER to be Separated
1. of sin we need to be different…we’ve been set free (where the spirit of the lord is there is liberty!)
2. of righteousness am I representing Jesus because i am the only version of him the world will see
3. of judgment to come every idle word and deed
III. THE HOLY SPIRIT’S POWER IN CLARITY John 16:13-14 Ephesians 1:17-18
Note: Remember, He always speaks in line with God’s Character and God’s Word
A. His Ability to Remind “guide” Mark 13:11, Luke 12:12 the Spirit helps us to speak when we need to witness Acts 1:8
B. His Ability to Reveal Ephesians 1:17-18
1. his revelation of God’s truth
2. his revelation of God’s Son
My prayer for you this morning is that the Holy Spirit would empower you so dramatically that your life would be transformed so radically so that people would look at your life and give glory to Jesus. If that is not true of your life right now, what are you going to do about it? What practical steps are you going to take to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit as He speaks and then obey Him?
I’m going to close this morning with a quote from Francis Chan from the book, Forgotten God, that I believe reflects God’s desire for all of us:
I do not know what the Spirit will do or where he’ll lead me each time I invite Him to guide me. But I am tired of living in a way that looks exactly like people who do not have the Holy Spirit of God living in them. I want to consistently live with an awareness of His strength. I want to be different today from what I was yesterday as the fruit of the Spirit becomes manifest in me.
• LISTEN to His LEADING
• CONFESS to relieve CONVICTION
• Speak BOLDLY trusting the Spirit’s Provision