DNA Sermon Series #1 What is a Church? Part 1
DNA Who we are as a church Sermon series #1a
ABC May 16, 2021
WHAT IS THE CHURCH? Part 1 (points 1 & 2)
There are a few words in the English language that I just love to say, the words just roll off the tongue: Medulla oblongata, onomatopoeia, kerfuffle, equilibrium…there are a lot of them! I want us to spend some time talking about another cool word, DEOXYRIBONUCLEIC ACID, or DNA. DNA is the chemical name for the molecule that carries genetic instructions in all living things.
DNA is the code of life that defines who you are—and the church, ABC, has one too. Our DNA describes the CENTER of who we are as a church. Over the course of this series, we will be looking at God’s plan for the church, why ABC exists, what we believe, details of our DNA and how we are going to get there. I hope you will commit to being in EVERY service of this very important sermon series.
LISTEN: the church began in the heart of God and exists for the glory of God. God began His church to manifest His glory to the whole world.
The church is a SPECIAL COMMUNITY for believers to BELONG, to be TAUGHT, to be LOVED, and to be ENCOURAGED in their spiritual JOURNEY.
I. THE CHURCH PLAINLY DEFINED Matthew 16:13-18,
1 Corinthians 1:2, Galatians 1:2, Ephesians 1:1, Philippians 1:1, Colossians 1:2, 1 Thessalonians 1:1, Revelation 1:4, 2-3
Note: As we jump right in, we must note exactly what Jesus was talking about in our main text. Peter is a small stone, like you and I are, but Jesus is a big foundational rock. You would not build ON a pebble, but you could build UP with pebbles. Remember the old kids saying, “Here is the church, here is the steeple, open up inside and here are all the people.”
A. The Ekklesia-a called out assembly
–ABC is a local visible assembly of saved, scripturally baptized believers in covenant relationship with God and each other, who are commissioned to carry out the Lord’s Work on Earth.
B. The Examples: follow the biblical pattern and anything different is not of the Lord!
II. THE CHURCH POWERFULLY DEFENDED vs. 18b, Acts 20:28
Note: We all like to refer to our church as “my” church and I know what we mean. I’m thankful that we take responsibility for our church, but we must never forget that the church, ABC, is HIS Church.
A. Her Purchase
1. the claim—which he hath purchased
2. the costly sacrifice—with his own blood
3. the continual sacrifice—the blood of 2000 years of martyrs who willingly gave their lives in defense of the true church. People who stood against kings and nations because of their sacred belief in the Word of God concerning God’s truth and God’s depository for the truth, His churches.
B. Her Protector
1. The Promise of the Spirit—guide you into all truth
2. The Protection of the Bible—the freedom of knowing the truth, doctrine
3.The Power of the Church—the gates of Hell SHALL NOT PREVAIL!
• Never allow a day to pass without taking time to pray for ABC
• Never speak with anyone without saying a word of praise about ABC
• Never fail to show friendliness and kindness in all services, especially to someone new
• Never push ABC down into a place of lesser importance as compared to other social engagements
• Never refuse an opportunity to serve
• Attend every service that you possibly can
God’s church triumphant is still alive and we want to see her grow! It is God’s Will for every life for a person to be SAVED, SCRIPTURALLY baptized and to JOIN His Church…where are you along that journey?