AWAKE BELIEVERS NOT WOKE CHRISTIANITY
August 8, 2021 MW
AWAKE BELIEVERS NOT WOKE CHRISTIANITY
Galatians 1:6-9, 2 Timothy 4:1-5
There is a great heresy that is sweeping our land and is affecting an entire generation. It is called “progressive Christianity, or “wokeness”. It would be odd to not have at least one family member or close relative that considers themselves as “woke”. Any quick view of the news, or watching the Olympics, we see this played out in society on a regular basis.
My main concern is how I am beginning to see this played out in churches across the land. In the ever-changing effort to reach all people, churches seem to be embracing this without even realizing it. Here are a few warning signs:
1. There is a lowered view of the Bible—you may hear things like, “The Bible is a human book.” Or “I disagree with the Apostle Paul is saying.”
2. Feelings are elevated over facts—you may hear, “That Bible verse doesn’t resonate with me.” Or “I thought homosexuality was a sin until I met and befriended some gay people.” Or “I just can’t believe Jesus would send good people to hell.”
3. Essential Christian doctrines are open for Reinterpretation—you’ll hear things like, “The church’s historic position on sexuality is archaic and needs to be updated within a modern framework.” Or “The idea of a literal hell is offensive to non-Christians and needs to be reinterpreted.”
4. Historic terms redefined—“God wouldn’t punish sinners—He is love.” Or “Sure, the Bible is authoritative—but we’ve misunderstood it for the first 2,000 years of church history.” Even, “It’s not our job to talk to anyone about sin—it’s our job to just love them.”
5. The heart of the Gospel message shifts from sin and redemption to social justice—in fact it is the Devil’s born again experience…the progressive/woke individual sees the sins of other people and then sees how the sins of others have hurt them and then the outflow of this is social justice…NOTICE the opposite for TRULY being born again…we have to see our OWN sins and how our sins hurt Jesus Christ…the result is salvation and the outflow is preaching the Gospel!
So, if this is so prevalent, where is it in the Bible? The answer is actually in a few places…there are two that I want to draw your attention to…Galatians 1:6-9 & 2 Timothy 4:1-5 both of which address the problem but also gives us the solution!
We need be AWAKE to Satan’s plans and not participate in them by being WOKE.
BODY: How can we be AWAKE to Satan’s plan…
I. BY KNOWING THE TRUTH AND POWER OF THE ONLY GOSPEL THAT SAVES Galatians 1:6-9
A. The Test of the Gospel
–does it include the story of Jesus—perfect life, sinless death, burial and bodily resurrection
–does it include grace—without GRACE it would deny the guilt associated with sin without which we have no need to be saved!
B. The Triumph of the Gospel—a different Gospel makes the believer of it ACCURSED, rejected by God! However, the true Gospel makes us accepted to God and Heaven is our home!
II. BY RELYING ON THE TRUTH AND POWER OF THE ONLY SCRIPTURES THAT MATTER 2 Timothy 4:1-5
Note: Notice, the first 4 things we talked about progressive Christianity…lowered view of the Bible, feelings over facts, redefining biblical terms, reinterpreting doctrines…Wednesday we talked about some things as well… Devaluation or redefining of what sin is, lack of biblical fundamentals and an emphasis on feelings and emotions, emphasis on spirituality at the expense of biblical doctrine, etc. Look at vs. 3-4, doesn’t this look familiar!!! So, what are we supposed to do?
A. A Pastor/Teacher Who vs. 1-2
1. preaches the Word of God without reservation
2. defends the Word of God without hesitation
3. knows he will be judged by the God of the Word
B. By Following the Bible’s Directions vs. 5
1. by watching—be alert and on guard
2. by waiting—enduring the difficulties
3. by working—by following God’s command to spread the Word and further the Kingdom
We do not need to be WOKE but we do need to be AWAKE. There is more at stake here than just some political movement in society. What is at stake is the eternity of people. Make no mistake about it, this “other” Gospel leads its followers to Hell.
God has given us the Gospel and His Book to direct our paths and help us to know what to do and how to live. We must be on guard at all times and pray for those around us that are being influenced every day about this.
The true first line of defense for us is the Spirit of God in our hearts. Do you know Jesus? Let me tell you how to be saved today!